The Block Captains Boot Camp is a leadership program, designed to give residents knowledge and skills to organize in their community around issues that are important to them.
The No Boundaries Block Captains Boot Camp takes place weekly, in a three hour classroom session over a twelve (12) week period. Participants will also need to earn an additional 24 hours of volunteer service in order to successfully complete the Block Captains Boot Camp.
The Block Captains Boot Camp training will give participants a deep understanding of the local and state legislative process, its players, and the larger systems of power in which they operate. During the training, participants will explore structural racism, its relationship with systems of power, and how communities can be organized to push back.
Upon completion of the 12-week session, graduates will be eligible to apply for a mini-grant to implement a community project for positive change in their neighborhood or gain additional training to further a career in their issue choice.
In addition to grounding participants in power dynamics, The Block Captains Boot Camp will build tangible organizing skills that will allow Block Captains to complete the following task including:
• Registering to vote, registering others to vote, & understand the importance of voting
• Attend an issue related or 21217 related meeting on behalf of No Boundaries
• Attend & invite a neighbor to a No Boundaries monthly membership meeting
• Participants will develop a personal introduction (story-of-self) that can be used for one-on-ones, presentations, or to organize members for a cause
• Develop a service learning project & be able to submit a 311 ticket,
• Phone, email, or meet with at least one elected official
• Running effective one-on-ones and group meetings with peers and policymakers
• Canvassing for data collection, signature gathering, and persuasion
The 2023 Spring cohort will start on February 9th and will be held every Thursday from 6 pm – 9:00 pm until April 27th with some changes to the schedule because of holidays. Block Captains Boot Camp participants will graduate with a certificate for completing at least 40 total hours of service and training, a swag bag, and up to a $650 stipend.
Applications are due February 1st to be enrolled you must complete an interview. Call 410-858-3788 or email [email protected] if you have any questions!
P.O. Box 12825, Baltimore, MD 21217